This page describes our latest Tubitak 1001 project that aims to understand key properties of Galactic Black Hole Transients.
Start date: April 01, 2016 End date: March 30, 2018
Total budget: ~90,000 TL
• Testing condensation disk hypothesis in the hard state with simulations of the power
• Investigating secondary outbursts of GBHT decays via simulations and multi-wavelength observations.
• Investigating the origin of hysteresis in hardness-intensity diagram via a systematic study of state transition luminosities
• Investigating the effects of dust scattering halos on timing properties of GBHTs
PI: Emrah Kalemci (Sabanci University)
co-I: Tom Maccarone (Texas Tech) – will visit Sabanci every summer for 1 month
Consulting: Unal Ertan (Sabanci University) and Yavuz Eksi (Istanbul Technical University)
Mr. Armin Vahdat
Mr. Deniz Aksulu
Related observing proposals:
- INTEGRAL AO14, “High energy emission from Galactic black hole transients when the compact jet turns on”, Kalemci E., J. A. Tomsick, K. Pottschmidt, J. Wilms, T. Belloni, T. Dincer, 340 ks.
- CHANDRA AO18, “Dust scattering halo of the peculiar black hole binary 4U 1630-47”, Kalemci E., T. J. Maccarone, J. A. Tomsick, E. Gogus, 40 ks
- INTEGRAL AO13, “High energy emission from Galactic black hole transients when the compact jet turns on”, Kalemci E., J. A. Tomsick, K. Pottschmidt, J. Wilms, T. Belloni, C. Bailyn, 340 ks.
- XMM-Newton, AO15, “The Black Hole Transient 4U 1630-47 in the Low-Soft State”, PI. Tomsick, J., 42ks
- XMM-Newton + NuSTAR, AO15, “The accretion geometry in a black hole binary at very low luminosities”, PI. Fürst, F., 80ks XMM + 40 ks NuSTAR
- “Wind, jet, hybrid corona and hard X-ray Multiwavelength evolution of GRO J1655-40 during the 2005 outburst rise”, Kalemci E., Begelman, M. C., Maccarone, T. J., Dincer T., Russell, T. D., Bailyn, C. Tomsick, J. A., MNRAS, 463, 615 2016.
Conference and Workshop Presentations:
- “Spectral State Transitions in X-ray Binaries”, invited talk at the “Stellar Remnants at the Junction: Comparing Accreting White Dwarfs, Neutron Stars, and Black Holes” Meeting held in Junction, TX, May 1-7 2016.